The ultimate guide to taking control of your health and beauty during menopause
Menopause Makeover Voted Best Menopause Book of the Year!
Ankle Osteoarthritis and Stem Cell Therapy
“The goal is to reduce pain and keep mobility.”He knew I had a fantasy that those stem cells would grow new cartilage, which it would not in my case of almost total bone on bone. For many who have a smaller injury, stem cells are now an excellent option, even on ankles. During the surgery they had to collect the stem cells from the hip joint and distract my ankle joint (separate it from my leg) for the injection of bone marrow aspirate. Concentrated bone marrow aspirate contains healing and growth factors, as well as healing cells called pluripotent cells. Bone marrow is the tissue that is found in the hollow spaces in the interior of our bones. A centrifugation machine called the Magellan® MAR0Max™ was used to concentrate the platelets and growth factors, as well as the pluripotent (or stem) cells, creating an injectable product that is delivered directly to the ankle. The processing time is about 12-17 minutes, and the entire surgery was less than an hour. My personal ankle plan now is to wait for another ten years until I am a candidate for a total ankle replacement. I will continue to utilize hyaluronic acid injections, take Celebrex when needed and be open to new options until it is time for my total ankle replacement. We are all different, and fortunately there are good options available for ankle osteoarthritis now. My hope is that those with similar injuries catch it early so new treatments like stem cell therapy may stop the progression of osteoarthritis, and joint replacements become a thing of the past for everyone. ************************************************************************************* References: Wodicka R, Ferkel E, Ferkel R. Osteochondral Lesions of the Ankle. Foot Ankle Int. 2016 Sep;37(9):1023-34. Ramponi L, Yasui Y, Murawski CD, Ferkel RD, DiGiovanni CW, Kerkhoffs GM, Calder JD, Takao M, Vannini F, Choi WJ, Lee JW, Stone J, Kennedy JG. Lesion Size Is a Predictor of Clinical Outcomes After Bone Marrow Stimulation for Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus: A Systematic Review. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Nov 16. pii: 0363546516668292. Jo CH, Lee YG, Shin WH, Kim H, Chai JW, Jeong EC, Kim JE, Shim H, Shin JS, Shin IS, Ra JC, Oh S, Yoon KS. Intra-articular injection of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a proof-of-concept clinical trial. Stem Cells. 2014 May;32(5):1254-66. Mehrabani D, Mojtahed Jaberi F, Zakerinia M, Hadianfard MJ, Jalli R, Tanideh N, Zare S. The Healing Effect of Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells in Knee Osteoarthritis: A Case Report. World J Plast Surg. 2016 May;5(2):168-74. Burke J, Hunter M, Kolhe R, Isales C, Hamrick M, Fulzele S. Therapeutic potential of mesenchymal stem cell based therapy for osteoarthritis. Clin Transl Med. 2016 Dec;5(1):27.
How To Invest In Your Long-Term Eye Health
Menopausal Weight Gain: How To Get Your Body Back
- Loss of estrogen may make insulin less effective at lowering glucose, and more effective at storing fat.
- Suffering from menopausal symptoms can affect a woman’s emotional health…weight goes up, self-esteem goes down.
- Normal life and environmental changes, such as children leaving or coming back home, divorce, death, career changes, can be stressful.
- The stress hormone, cortisol, directly affects fat storage and weight gain in stressed individuals. Cortisol is associated with increased appetite, cravings for sugar, and weight gain.
- There's a link between estrogen and body fat storage. Post-menopausal women burn less fat than they did in their pre-menopausal years. Cells not only store more fat but are less willing to part with it.
- Medical conditions such as insulin resistance (when your body becomes resistant to the insulin it produces) or suffering from an underactive thyroid can pack on the pounds.
- Medications that can trigger appetite, slow metabolism, increase fluid retention, and cause muscle cramps decreasing desire to exercise are: antidepressants, antihistamines, beta-blockers, corticosteroids, insulin, statins and tamoxifin.
- Eat Protein: Women naturally have less muscle mass and testosterone than men, so lean proteins such as, chicken, turkey, fish, beans, soybeans and tofu, dairy protein/Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites, are a woman’s best friend during menopause. Your body expends more energy (calories) to process proteins.
- Consume healthy fats: olive oil, flaxseeds, salmon, halibut, tuna, avocados, almonds, and walnuts.
- Manage blood sugar with low to medium glycemic index foods: beans, apples, oranges, cherries, plain yogurt, sweet potatoes, oatmeal.
- Fiber is your friend keeping you feeling full longer and regular.
- Limit alcohol to 2 or less glasses per day: That totals less than 10 fluid ounces of wine, 24 ounces of beer, or 3 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits. More than two drinks per day may increase the risk of cancer and stroke.
- Don’t smoke.
- Watch salt intake to reduce fluid retention.
- Practice portion control. Using smaller plates can help.
- Keep a food diary and create a food plan. There are many great apps for your mobile that may help.
- Eat every 3-4 hours so you don’t get hungry. Three meals and two snacks per day (three if you wake up early).
- Exercise at least 30 minutes most days of the week to maintain a healthy weight; increase workout time if your goal is to lose weight.
- Make breakfast and lunch your largest meals.
- Nourish healthy emotions: are you happy, are you surrounded by healthy relationships, is your self esteem high?
What's Your Ideal Weight?
For Women Only
Get your DAILY nutrition in ONE protein shake! The National Academy of Sciences recommends 2.4 mcg of vitamin B12 each day to boost metabolism and maintain healthy nerve cells, 600 IU Vitamin D may help lower blood pressure for those with hypertension, and patented PROBIOTICS because your gut bacteria can get out of whack from stress and hormonal fluctuations due to menopause. HURRY ENTER NOW! Leave a comment on our FB page that YOU want to win! For more information about our EAT LIKE A WOMAN LIFE STAGE SHAKE for Menopause & Beyond: http://bit.ly/2q9rBzX
- 20 grams of organic certified and patented plant-based protein that absorbs better over time than animal based whey protein, and provides complete amino acid profile.
- Use as a meal or healthy snack
- 120 calories
- 22 Vitamins & Minerals
- Organic Plant-Based Protein & Formulation
- Antioxidants & Omega-3s
- Metabolism booster
- Curbs hunger & cravings
- Patented Probiotic GanedenBC30
- Supports digestive and immune health
- Supports protein utilization