by Staness Jonekos
A delicious desert
10 to 12 servings
This is my hubby’s family favorite!
12 tart Jonathon apples
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
12 tablespoons light margarine (Smart Balance Light)
6 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Core the apples but leave the bottom intact, so it looks like a “well” in the apple.
• Prick the apple skins with a fork so the apple can “breathe” while baking.
• Fill the hole with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of butter substitute.
• Then place the apples in a baking dish with a thin layer of water on the bottom, and sprinkle each apple with cinnamon.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (10 minutes covered with foil and 10 minutes uncovered) until the apples are tender and begin to caramelize.
You can also add chopped walnuts or pecans to the “stuffing”. And you may want to top this yummy recipe with a low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt.