Fiber is the part of plants that cannot be digested. When you eat fiber, it passes through your body virtually unchanged.
Benefits of fiber
- Helps keep your bowel movements regular and stools soft
- Moves FAT through your digetive system more quickly – an added benefit in the battle against medsection belly fat
- Can help you lose weight
- Leaves you feeling full longer
- Keeps your blood sugar on an even keel
- Can help transport bad cholesterol out of your body
- Can help reduce the risk of certain diseases (heart disease, diabetes)
Sources of Fiber
Apples, strawberries, blueberries, pears, cucumbers (not pickles too salty),celery, tomatoes, oatmeal, oat bran, lentils, beans, zucchini, brown rice, barley, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, beets, couscous , whole-wheat breads and cereals, seeds.
The USDA recommends that you get at least 25 grams of fiber a day, but most of us consume less than 10 grams per day. Try to include some fiber at every meal, and make fruits and veggies part of your daily snacks.
Enjoy fiber daily!